---- Original message ----
>Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 01:27:42 -0800
>From: Chris Cappuccio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Blowfish still good enough?
>To: Travers Buda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Cc: misc@openbsd.org
>
>Travers Buda [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> My concern is the strength of Blowfish--it's robustness--if someone with
>> a large amount of resources desired to crack it.
>>

>You mention that twofish is faster than blowfish.  So, you would rather
>make a brute force password attack easier?

bingo! this is exactly why blowfish is a good encryption algorithm: it's very
strong against brute forcing since attempting each key requires 512 operations
to fill the S-boxes. i would be more worried about brute forcing than i would
cryptanalytic attacks, perhaps my confidence is misplaced :P.

if anybody had a reasonably large quantum computer, all of this would be
irrelevant. i sure hope that's not the case!

see http://groups.google.com/group/sci.crypt/msg/6f6e157149330057 for an opinion
of twofish.