Solved -- my error. I completely forgot that I had used config to make
a kernel from the Stable kernel, disabling devices that don't exist in
this machine, or so I thought. Fortunately, when I installed it, I
saved the stock Stable kernel.

I took your suggestion and downloaded a current snapshot and booted
the cd. Plugging and unplugging the USB disk caused no trouble. Then I
tried the 5.8 install disk. Worked fine. That's when I remembered the
config'ed kernel. So I booted the system with the stock Stable kernel
and that worked fine, too, not surprisingly.

So thank you for your help and sorry for the false alarm.

/Don Allen