Thanks Ted for the reply and the hint.
After a bit of research, it seems the 950 Pro use a PCIe NVMe
interface as opposed to the SM951 (already in the CVS tree) using PCIe
AHCI interface.
I did not find any mention of backwards compatibility with AHCI so far
for the 950 Pro and might correlate with your assumption.

A bit more research brought me to the nvme [1] driver found in
FreeBSD. Was there any attempts into porting that?
I am not a developer, but would be happy to help in testing patch/source code.

Cheers,

[1] https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=nvme&sektion=4