On 23 Nov 2015, Mihai Popescu wrote:

>> OpenBSD 5.8 (GENERIC.MP) #1236: Sun Aug 16 02:31:04 MDT 2015
>
> First suggestion is to try the latest snapshot - development is going
> on.

Unfortunately latest is a hard thing to come back from. I can try
current again though!

> For the ignorant one, you can always see the OpenBSD FAQ, it is an
> evolving part, too and it explains in details many common tasks in
> OpenBSD.
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html

Thanks! Yes, it's from this that I originally found out some of the
USB-related stuff, unfortunately nothing bearing on my actual question
here. Still, if it is indeed unexpected that a USB drive plugged in
after boot would not appear among devices listed by usbdevs, sysctl
hw.disknames, etc. then that is already useful information, thank you: I
had worried that I simply just didn't realize the OpenBSD way of doing
these things.

-- Mark