Stuart Henderson wrote:
Multicast MAC addresses use a special 24-bit prefix of 0x0100.5Enn.nnnn.
which has the lowest bit of the first byte set to '1'.

afaict: CARP traffic itself goes to the group hence 1, whereas traffic to
the shared address is just for an individual member, hence the 0. But I am
no multicast guru.

Very interesting in dead! Doing more reading and definitely interested to know more. May explain why possible issue on the CARP usage at public peering points might be. I don't know if any peering point would filter all MAC in range xx.xx.5E.nn.nn.nn and obviously in that case eliminate the usage of CARP to establish BGP sessions directly for a reliable setup.

Very interesting... I never thought of it in that perspective before!

May be I should have revised my question then as to if any known restrictions in the use of CARP for BGPd usage in public peering points is know at this time?

Very interesting!

Thank you for giving me something to chew on for a while Stuart! I obviously overlooked a detail.

Many thanks for your time!

Daniel