On 01.12.2015 16:50, Felipe Gomes wrote:
Folks,

I've been trying to search for more information on OpenBSD as a VMWare
guest, but I wasn't able to find much... and the information is pretty much
outdated.

What are the recommendations for OpenBSD 5.8 (amd64) as a guest on VMware
5.5?

Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?

How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual socket"?

What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?

What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
or VMware Paravirtual?

I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which is
more stable or perform better.

Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?

I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is this
reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?

Thanks in advance!

I run a productive SMTP server with OpenBSD 5.8-stable on VMware 5.5 for some months and so far I didn't experience any problems. Guest OS is FreeBSD, NIC
is VMXNET3 and the controller is LSI Logic Parallel.

There are plans for more OpenBSD servers on VMware in the company I work for due to the small footprint of the OS and the very good experience we have so
far.

Cheers,
Bruno