On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 18:11:07 -0500
"Bryan C. Everly" <br...@bceassociates.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wanting to create a boot floppy for a Vaxstation.  Could someone
> recommend a USB floppy that I could plug into my amd64 laptop that would
> allow me to create a boot floppy for a VAX?
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Hi.

I don't know anything about VAXes, but I do use USB floppy drive often.
The drive I have is a bit flaky, equally so under OpenBSD and Windows,
and needs the disk to be ejected and reinserted, or the drive unplugged
and reconnected sometimes, but, generally speaking, it works. A bit slow
under OpenBSD when mounting and using FAT disks.

Sold by Amazon as "Nippon Labs" USB floppy drive:

umass0 at uhub7 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "TEAC TEAC FD-05PUB" rev
2.00/0.00 addr 2
umass0: using UFI over CBI with CCI
scsibus2 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd3 at scsibus2 targ 1 lun 0: <TEAC, FD-05PUB, 3000> ATAPI 0/direct removable

Just tried dd'ing the vax image onto a disk using that drive:

$ time sudo dd if=/tmp/floppy58.fs  of=/dev/rsd3c bs=1m
1+1 records in
1+1 records out
1474560 bytes transferred in 51.998 secs (28358 bytes/sec)
    0m53.58s real     0m00.00s user     0m00.01s system

--
Andre