Alan Corey wrote:
> I'm thinking this is graphics slowness or filesystem slowness.  Both
> OpenBSD and Debian both have working mplayers, I don't know if that
> could log something useful about throughput.

Filesystems slowness seems unlikely to me. I'd guess that it's because
of the rendering acceleration. Maybe we don't support what Linux uses in
that case, or there's an ifdef somewhere that gives us a sluggish
fallback.

It could also be because of a pathological memory allocation pattern.
They have a much bigger performance impact on OpenBSD because of the
memory sanitization.

The list goes on. You really can't know without profiling.

That said, remember that things like this are almost always a little
faster on Linux.