I can't type underscore on this device.

Assuming i could do it: If I were to make a sloppy perl-based pkg-add
program that used c and the installer code to (re)set the PKG-PATH
environment variable using the "http" settings that are available for
installing the modules from mirrors, if I made changes to it to
request a change to the environment variable and possibly alter a
.profile if either the PKG-PATH doesn't exist, or a connection to the
mirror takes too long, would the openbsd devs accept the diff?
Theoretically, it wouldn't act much differently than the existing
installer code, except it would be on pkg-add after the system has
been installed.

--
-Luke