Starting with OpenBSD 5.0, formatted man pages (/usr/share/man/catX) were no
longer installed (as mentioned at
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/189931).
However, the upgrade instructions never said to remove them, and the default
man.conf still searches the cat directories.

My (i386) system started with 4.9 initially, and I have updated through every
release up to 5.8. My system still has these out-of-date formatted pages
installed, including pages that have long been deleted:

$ man -w ccdconfig rtsol
/usr/share/man/cat8/ccdconfig.0
/usr/share/man/cat8/rtsol.0

Did I miss a step in the upgrade instructions where these were removed?
Is there any reason not to just 'rm -rf /usr/share/man/cat*’? And also ‘rm
-rf /usr/share/man/ps*’, those directories are all empty for me.

Brendan Shanks