First, thank you Mr. Unangst for a beautifully simple piece of code. The configuration file is a delight as well. I was happy to remove sudo from my servers.

What I don't understand is the `-s` argument used to execute a shell. What would a corresponding doas.conf(5) look like?

Can't shell execution be accomplished using doas.conf only, without the need for the doas "-s" argument?

For example, the following two configurations seem to accomplish the same with the exception of the environment variables explicitly set by su(1):

  $ cat /etc/doas.conf
  permit USR as root cmd su
  $ doas su
  #

  $ cat /etc/doas.conf
  permit USR as root cmd /bin/ksh
  $ doas -s
  #

Other than compatibility with `sudo -s`, what are the benefits of `doas -s`?

Thank you,
Clint