On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 02:51:21PM -0800, Simon McFarlane wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now that the Xen guest stuff is getting some love, I think it would be fun
> to toy around with OpenBSD on EC2 (particularly because of EBS -- other VPS
> providers like the old standby ARP Networks don't allow you to attach
> copious amounts of storage to a low-spec system).
>
> There are a couple public AMIs available, but I'm curious as to how they are
> built. It'd be pretty cool to be able to build a given snapshot into an AMI,
> rather than be dependent on whomever is creating the public ones.
>
> If the builder of the public AMIs is reading this, I'd love to hear what
> your process is.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon

I have a relatively simple process involving the use of vmimport.

Basically, build out the VM how you want (I used VirtualBox, but YMMV),
then ran something like ec2-import-volume to bring the VHD into AWS.
Once that was complete, I booted up an Amazon Linux instance, stopped it,
detached the root volume, attached the OpenBSD volume as /dev/xvda, then
booted up into OpenBSD.  Afterwards, create an AMI of your work.

Also note that OpenBSD won't recognize EBS volumes attached as anything
other than xvd*.  I haven't bothered looking into why.

-Jonathon