On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 04:10:22PM +0100, Henrik Friedrichsen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I recently upgraded 5.8 to CURRENT to test the new 802.11n WiFi
> additions which I am very excited about.
>
> I noticed that in CURRENT the WiFi throughput is much slower. The
> environment I am testing it in is at my university with wall-mounted
> Cisco APs (sorry, not very detailled).

Yes, there are still known problems with some APs.
Many APs work fine, though. The details of why some APs don't work fine
are still unclear.

> Trying to connect to the AP in 11n mode does not work. The OS then seems
> to fall back to "OFDM18 mode 11g" or "OFDM36 mode 11a". Both of these
> modes yield pretty slow throughput, less than 1MBit/s down and around
> 2MBit/s up.

Does forcing 11g or 11a mode like this fix it?

For 2GHz AP:
 ifconfig iwn0 mode 11g

For 5GHz AP:
 ifconfig iwn0 mode 11a

These commands should restore 5.8 behaviour even if the AP is bad in 11n mode.

To go back to autoselecting a mode, run:

 ifconfig iwn0 -mode