I thought I was being clever by doing all of:

* disabling root's password
* disabling SSH login by root
* setting root's shell to /sbin/nologin

su stopped working, but I don't use su, or so I thought, until I
noticed my locate.database was always 41B aka empty. Turns out
/etc/weekly *does* use su, specifically during the generation of
/var/db/locate.database which is handy if you want to use the locate
command at all. Changing root's shell back to /bin/ksh fixed the issue
and I can use locate again.

I could work around this specific (self-inflicted) problem by using a
different script for generating my locate.database and put it in
/etc/weekly.local, but I figure I should take the hint that su is
assumed to work, and if it doesn't, its possible other subtle
breakages in the system will happen.

Thought I'd share.