On 02/22/16 10:46, Theo Buehler wrote:
>>   Note that we did not specify the altroot device by DUID, but by device
>>   name. We probably want to be pushing from the boot device to the
>>   secondary device, which can end up changing if the drive order is
>>   changed. For this reason, you may want to specify the root and altroot
>>   in /etc/fstab as a device name, not a DUID.
>
> To be clear: the reason I'm hesitating is that I have no idea whether
> this really is sound advice or not.

Today, probably better to do bootable softraid (which was still fairly
primitive when I wrote that).

However, given the root partition, altroot partition and the rest as
softraid, yes, think about it a bit -- you want your / device to be
whatever is available as your '0' device, not a DUID that failed.

So let's say we got this:
65453c66b41bb710.a / ffs rw,softdep 1 1
034f77b0c2a1fe2e.d /altroot ffs xx 0 0

Now, 65453c66b41bb710 fails.
Your new root is 034f77b0c2a1fe2e.a, except it isn't, because you
hard-coded the old root into both copies of fstab.  Works much better if
that were saying "/dev/sd0a" instead (though there are still failure
cases -- if the old boot drive can't boot, but still shows up as sd0,

But bootable SR is still probably the way to go.

Oververbose, over documentation.  Nuke it.

Nick.