On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

|client I feel like.  mail(1) was a bit too tedious and limited for typical
|use.

Unfortunately i (as the maintainer of the source) have to agree.
So it is.  Especially regarding interactive use: no way to access
message MIME parts directly, and no OpenPGP support, for example.
S/MIME limited to the OpenSSL MIME parser.  Come back in ten years
from now, perhaps.  ^.^

We had this thema before. See:

https://marc.info/?t=138009582700004&r=1&w=2

I agree that mail (1) has its limitations, but in todays form it
is coherent with the Unix concept and must stay there. This is
similar to the discussion about lpr/lpd.

The solution to the limitation is not to inflate it with all kind
of cool features, but to use an alternative email program with
the wanted cool features and leave mail (1) there as it is.

Perhaps in the future we will be able to mount imap mailboxes using
fuse. Then we can read imap mailboxes with mail (1) not altering it,
this is the unix way. For PGP and mime, mail (1) allows to pipe
the mail, this is the unix way. Inflating mail (1) and lpr/lpd with
cool features is perhaps the linux way, but not the unix way.

What is not clear to me, is, if mail (1) for sending emails always
do smptp to localhost:25 (or :587?) , if one can change this. Perhaps
there is something to do.

Rodrigo.