On Mar 12 16:36:37, rob...@peichaer.org wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 04:57:04PM +0100, hans wrote:
> > Has the attitude towards /etc/hosts changed again?
> > After a fresh install of current/i386,
> >
> >     127.0.0.1       localhost
> >     ::1             localhost
> >     192.168.22.4    www.stare.cz www
> >
> > The first two I would expect.
> > The last one was assigned to me via DHCP during install;
> > I am changing the network configuration now (to another,
> > static IP address), and removing it from /etc/hosts;
> > but it's easy to have a stale DHCP address
> > assigned during install left in /etc/hosts.
> >
> > I believe it was discussed on the list before,
> > and the decision was not to do this.
> > Has the rationale changed?
> >
> >     Jan
>
> You're probably referring to this commit from 2 years ago and since then
> nothing changed with respect to adding static entries to /etc/hosts.
>
>    revision 1.682
>    date: 2013/07/21 22:06:51;  author: halex;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -6;
>    stop adding static entries to /etc/hosts for dynamic ip addresses
>
>    "do it NOW" deraadt@

Yes, that's what I was referring to; thanks.

This is a fresh install, and I sure didn't put it there myself.
How could this entry ended up in my /etc/hosts ?

The file /etc/hosts is in the Attic since Fri Sep 5 07:22:29 2014
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/etc/Attic/hosts
The remove message says

        Make the installer create the /etc/hosts template.
        While here, re-add a missing 'echo' from install.sh.

Could it be where it got back?

        Jan