Bingo.  /usr does it.  One clue I guess was that it was logging into
/usr/logs.  With Apache at least the chroot dir wasn't the same as the
document root.  And you don't want the logs dir readable through the
httpd.  So essentially there's htdocs and logs inside of what you
specify as a chroot dir.

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX