Peter Kay:

> Not wishing to be a dick about this, but what sort of notification is
> in place to stop time being wasted trying to run programs on
> incompatible CPUs?

None. The general policy is that packages must run on all CPUs
supported by the base system.

That said, we now do have a few ports that build with -march=i586
or -march=i686 on i386, because the software requires certain atomic
operations or such that are only available starting from these CPU
models.  The expectation is that this only concerns programs that
nobody would reasonably try to run on older CPUs anyway.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de