On Sat, Apr 02, 2016 at 10:37:07PM -0500, Ax0n wrote:
> I'm working on a project with a local group that involves running a bunch
> of systems in Ad-Hoc mode to form a mesh network. I was hoping to join my
> daily driver to the mesh, but I'm not seeing any way to get Ad-Hoc/IBSS
> mode enabled on athn(4) or any of the USB (urtw, urtnw, run) WiFi adapters
> I have kicking around.
>
> Checking man pages of the wifi drivers and ifmedia(4), It looks like the
> support just isn't there. If that's the case, I'll pursue another route.
> I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious. Ideas?

You're correct, the athn(4) driver lacks IBSS support.

ral(4) should work.
I have used OpenBSD with this driver in a mesh network (OLSR-based).
This was with rt2661 and rt2560 devices. More recent devices (e.g.
RT3090) should also work in IBSS mode but I have not tested this.

ral(4) is not your only option.
The following drivers advertise IBSS support in their man pages:

  acx(4), an(4), ath(4), atu(4), atw(4), ipw(4), iwi(4), pgt(4),
  ral(4), rtw(4), rum(4), ural(4)