I got it to work exactly as you suggested using isakmpd.conf

It took me quite a bit of searching to find the correct sort of syntax
for that file to achieve what I wanted but it now allows me to connect.

But I've run into another issue that I cannot resolve myself.

Once I connect from ANY client, I can only move data on the VPN for a
few seconds then it goes dead.

I thought it might be an MTU issue, but I tried setting the MRU setting
fairly low in npppd and that didn't solve it.  I tried setting skip on
enc0 as well as pppx0 in pf rules and that didn't work either.

What else could I be missing?  Why would it work, but only briefly?

Sly