On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 06:23:18PM +0200, Joerg Jung wrote:
> > Am 18.04.2016 um 16:56 schrieb ML mail <mlnos...@yahoo.com>:
> >
> > I have configured OpenSMTPD on OpenBSD 5.9 with the filter-spamassassin as a
> relay for a few of my webapp servers and have the problem when a webapp
> suddently sends over 30 mails at the same time. Basically the problem is that
> as I have configured spamd with 30 as max-children, as soon as I receive 30
> mails at the same time OpenSMTPD stops answering because all spamd childs are
> in busy state. This means that as long as all spamd child are in busy state I
> can not receive any more mails during that time.
>
> So you get what you configured/requested.
>
> > So in theory I would just raise the max-children setting of spamassassin but
> then it just postpones the problem really... so is there maybe another way to
> deal better with that issue?
>
> Not really.
>
> If these are your own web servers they
> will not send spam, right?
> So considering skip the filtering for them?
>
> There is a max-inflight limit in smtpd.conf(5)
> which you may want to lower (below your 30).

Generally speaking, I'd really avoid playing with max-inflight, it is a
scheduler knob from developers to developers.

Tweaking it for one particular case means it is tweaked for all cases.

> Also, the most recent git head of -extras contains
> a limit option which restricts the messages piped
> to spamassassin based on their size. The idea is:
> fewer/smaller mails are checked (fast),
> assuming that larger ones are rarely spam.

much better strategy, maybe it should also contain a max session count
to tempfail incoming mail if there are already enough pending sessions
I don't know.

What I know is that max-inflight is not THE solution for sure.

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg