I actually wrote a patch to that a while back, and it was not accepted.
Looking back, I am not disappointed that it was rejected, and it forced
me to find another solution: shell scripts, included below.

However, in light of what Theo said, I'm possibly going to move back to
mfs; even if I haven't had any issues with tmpfs yet, I feel
the need to be somewhat proactive.

Whilst not exactly Michelangelo's finest work of art, it's probably
better than the original set of patches I submitted.

I use the following in /etc/fstab:

swap /var/log tmpfs.sh rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid,-s=64M,-P=/M/var/log

Stored in /sbin/mount_tmpfs.sh:

#!/bin/sh

while getopts :g:m:n:o:P:s:u: OPT; do
        if [ "$OPT" == 'P' ]; then
                TEMPLATE=$OPTARG
        else
                MCPARAM="$MCPARAM -$OPT $OPTARG"
        fi
done
shift `expr $OPTIND - 1`

/sbin/mount_tmpfs $MCPARAM $*

if [ "$TEMPLATE" != "" ]; then
        shift `expr $# - 1`
        (cd "$TEMPLATE"; /bin/pax -rw -pe . "$1")
fi