On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 08:24:09AM -0400, Nick wrote:
> Thanks for responding to me, appreciate your tips/advice.. I checked
> the details though and my login class is 'staff', and as far as I can
> see the limits are plenty (I've been changing them)
> Here is the output of those commands/files: (Can you see an issue I am
> maybe blind too, thanks)
>
> I checked my login class:
>
> login nick
> passwd *
> uid 1000
> groups nick wheel operator staff
> change NEVER
> class staff
> gecos nick
> dir /home/nick
> shell /bin/ksh
> expire NEVER
>
> And my ulimit -a:
>
> time(cpu-seconds) unlimited
> file(blocks) unlimited
> coredump(blocks) unlimited
> data(kbytes) 1572864
> stack(kbytes) 4096
> lockedmem(kbytes) 2675596
> memory(kbytes) 8006984
> nofiles(descriptors) 2048
> processes 1310
>
> And my login.conf:
>
> staff:\
> :datasize-cur=1536M:\
> :datasize-max=infinity:\
> :maxproc-max=4096:\
> :maxproc-cur=2048:\
> :ignorenologin:\
> :requirehome@:\
> :openfiles-cur=2048:\
> :openfiles-max=infinity:\
> :tc=default:

Check how many files you have on your shared folder and set your limits
accordingly. In my case I have

$ find ~/ownCloud | wc -l
  2744

My soft limit is 2048, and the hard limit is 4096:

$ ulimit -n
2048
$ ulimit -Hn
4096

so I bump the soft limit when starting ownCloud:

$ ulimit -n 3072 && owncloud

How many file descriptors does is actually open?

$ fstat -fp `pgrep owncloud` | wc -l
    2853