On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 9:05 PM, Edgar Pettijohn <ed...@pettijohn-web.com> wrote:
> On 16-07-03 20:38:48, Philip Guenther wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Edgar Pettijohn
>> <ed...@pettijohn-web.com> wrote:
>> > I'm trying to build from source, but I'm getting the following error. I am
>> following instructions from release(8).
>> > Any idea how to correct?
>>
>> Remove the DEBUGLIBS assignment from your /etc/mk.conf: apparently no
>> one has built with that option since the switch to gcc 4, which tells
>> you how well tested it is.
>>
>> If you are *actually using* the debug libs in /usr/lib/debug/ then
>> please describe how, and do so quickly, before I craft a diff to
>> completely delete support for that option and those libs
>>
>> Here's the diff to make libobjc build with DEBUGLIBS sets...but this
>> won't get committed if we're just going to delete an obsolete option,
>> so speak up if you ACTUALLY USE THEM.
>
> I don't. Just saw a shiny knob to turn.

Heh. Part of me wants to admonish you again for turning a knob you
didn't have a reason to turn, but part of me wants to thank you for
demonstrating that this particular knob is broken and should be
removed...

> It also looks like "-pipe" is the
> default? So should mk.conf(5) be updated and PIPE removed I guess along with
> DEBUGLIBS?

The default value for PIPE has changed, but it's not broken like
DEBUGLIBS is and is still useful (and used) by at least this
developer.  Removing DEBUGLIBS itself is a much larger diff...

Philip Guenther