Thank you for your answer Olivier

As I was writting you I started to understand what could be wrong
My dovecot.conf# dovecot -n
# 2.2.21 (5345f22): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: OpenBSD 5.9 amd64  ffs
mail_gid = _vmail
mail_uid = _vmail

I run dovecot with another user and that's why I was feeling the login.conf
parameters were not taken into account.
Do you know how my login.conf should look like if I run dovecot with the
_vmail user ?
Regards

    Le Samedi 30 juillet 2016 12h10, Olivier Burelli <oliv...@burelli.fr> a
écrit :

 On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 08:56:18 +0000 (UTC)
Mik J <mikyde...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm able to start dovecot manually as a root# dovecot
> But I can't using the startup script# /etc/rc.d/dovecot start

the best way is to use : rcctl start || stop dovecot

previously you have to enable it on rc : rcctl enable dovecot

> I notice errorsJul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Dovecot v2.2.21 (5345f22)
> starting up for imap
> Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-login): pipe()
failed:
> Too many open files
> Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(imap-hibernate): pipe()
> failed: Too many open files
> Jul 30 10:50:52 x dovecot: master: Error: service(doveadm): pipe() failed:
Too
> many open files
>
> Even if my login.conf is modifieddovecot:\
> ______________ :openfiles-cur=512:\
> ______________ :openfiles-max=2048:\
> ______________ :tc=daemon:
> And I ran# cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
> I increased both values up to 8192 and it's still the same.
> It's almost a fresh install, there are just 5 or 6 mails in the mailbox
>
> Does any of you have an idea about what could be the problem and how to
debug
> further ?

Seems that you followed intructions from
/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/dovecot-2.2.21p0

For my configuration, informations below are ok.

| Running dovecot-2.2.21p0 on OpenBSD

By default, the _dovecot user, and so the Dovecot processes run in
the login(1) class of "daemon". The default limits on file descriptors
are insufficient to run Dovecot; instead you should put the _dovecot
user and processes in their own login(1) class with tuned resources.

For example, add this to the login.conf(5) file:

      dovecot:\
                :openfiles-cur=512:\
                :openfiles-max=2048:\
                :tc=daemon:

Rebuild the login.conf.db file if necessary:

        # [ -f /etc/login.conf.db ] && cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf
For larger servers these numbers and memory limits (e.g. datasize
and stacksize) may also need to be increased. In particular, indexing
emails for full-text search is likely to need an increased datasize.
Please report any changes and experiences to the package maintainers
so that we can update this file for future versions.

dovecot -n provides wich informations ?

--
regards,
Olivier