On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 1:05 PM,  <kuniyo...@free.fr> wrote:
> I noticed that when I choose the automatic installation on the whole disk,
> OpenBSD always gets in the 4th fdisk (primary) partition. As I'm curious,
> I wonder if there is a legitimate reason for this fact or is this just an
> "arbitrary" decision from the OpenBSD team?

That behavior was present in the original import in 1995 when OpenBSD
and NetBSD split and may go back to Jolitz 386BSD.

Why was it done?  My *guess* would be to be consistent between whole
disk and multi-boot installs, where the other partitions are more
likely to be used by DOS, Windows3.1, Netware, etc.  But that's just a
guess; if you want more details you should check the NetBSD source
history, its discussion archives, and then back into the minds of the
Jolitz's...

Philip Guenther