On 1/11/06, C. Bensend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That's the part I was asking about - you'd have to shutdown to
> replace that failed drive when it's convenient.  Right?  I've
> never touched a SATA anything in my life.

This is in a Supermicro 932 chassis, with the 15 slot SATA hotswap
backplane. Totally unmanaged which quite annoyed me.

The card does do auto rebuild. The drives are 300GB Maxline III, in a
RAID 1+0 (striping across 3 mirrored pairs) with 2 hot spares. During
testing we managed to cause multiple drive fails and even a double
fail, which was later attributed to the idiots who assembled it using
cheap 26 gauge SATA cables harvested from low-end motherboard
packages. Once I replaced them with the 24 gauge cables that
*came*in*the*LSI*box* the stopped having a drive failure every other
day.

I've got the rebuild rate set to 30% and generally takes 5 to 6 hours
with the 300GB drives. RAID5 would probably be a faster rebuild (more
spindles to read from).

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator