On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 01:04:44PM BST, Stephen Trotter wrote:
> Raf,
>
> Yes I was attempting to follow the instructions and was logged in as my
> user, not as root. And I was pulling the src from cvs (for the first time)
> and using the -r option for the stable version.

Well, in order to avoid root privileges, first you need to run at
least one command as root :^)

> Theo,
>
> The user is a member of wsrc. That was part of the reason I was so confused
> at the time. (I can't verify with id at the moment, but I did check
> /etc/group to ensure the user was listed under wsrc.)

If you had added the user to the 'wsrc' group using su(1) or using
another terminal, then the change will obviously get reflected in
the /etc/group file but it won't take immediate effect if the user
is already logged on, so the easiest way is to simply re-logon.

> I suspect that /usr is not owned by wsrc possibly, and that cvs was trying
> to write to /usr but I cannot confirm right now. When I am able to, I will
> run cvs again without the -q option and see if there is any extra detail I
> can include.

/usr does not and should not have the group set to 'wsrc'.

If you had followed the information from FAQ then the cvs(1) command
should only write to /usr/src directory, whose group is already set
to 'wsrc'.

Regards,

Raf