> I selected 0xdf a long time ago as an alternative to the 0xd0 (Duh)
> byte used for new chunks. Both as a mnemonic for "free" and because it
> is likely to cause segfaults. A pointer ending in 0xdf often will be
> unaligned. Of course that won't work on all archs or all pointers.
>
> Random patterns are also likely to produce segfaults, using them as a
> pointer has a big chance of being unaligned or pointing to an unmapped
> page.

Did you ever try filling all allocations and frees with random data
to see if it exposes new bugs?  Having that option could be useful for
testing & development.

The d0 & df patterns can hide problems, I've found the hard way.  E.g.
in integer comparisons there's a good chance they will consistently
take you to the same branch, and that could be a branch where your
use of freed or unitialized memory doesn't manifest in any observable
malbehavior.  Random data would likely trigger such snafus.