Sorry for the off-topic posting but:

Although true in theory ... in practice banking with the euro zone from the UK is expensive. You either have to pay a premium to get a multi-currency account or be "raped" for every transaction requiring exchanging pounds <--> euros.

An example comes to mind. I recently needed to pay 300 to a company in Holland. My UK bank proposed to charge me altogether #18 (that reaching 10% of the 300) for the privilege. Paying the same amount from my personal French account cost me 3 in charges!! This is called "rip-off Britain", I believe. Unless you *need* an account in #, I would recommend finding a bank within the euro zone.

If anybody finds a firefox friendly UK bank which allow cheap transactions with the euro zone, I'd be glad to hear about it :-)

Dom.

Rogier Krieger wrote:

According to the EC regulation 2560/2001, cross-border transactions
within the community  take place at the same charges applicable for
transactions within a member state. Being part of the community, these
rules also apply to the UK. As of Jan. 1st, 2006, the applicable limit
to those transactions lies at 50.000 euro.

In other words: you'll want to stay away from expensive banking
countries such as Italy. A UK bank shouldn't pose any problems. In
fact, it may even be beneficial to stay in a multi-currency location.

Cheers,

Rogier

--
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.