On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 16:51:28 +0200, Jan Stary wrote:

> The /bsd kernel as installed by the installer has
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  10571887 Sep 22 16:27 /bsd
>
> The /bsd kernel recompiled and installed by make install has
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  10572001 Sep 22 16:49 /bsd
>
> Not that I have any problem with it,
> but why is that? It it intentional?

The execute bit is not relevant on the kernel.  When you build your
own you get the mode that ld gave it.  Since ld is generally used
to build executables, it sets the execute bit by default.  The
install target in the kernel Makefile just used cp to install /bsd.
We could use ${INSTALL} and set the mode but historically that was
not available in the kernel Makefile (these days it is).

The short answer is that the mode is just cosmetic...

 - todd