On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 06:48:35AM +0200, L.R. D.S. wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm thinking of buying a new toy board like BeagleBone Black to test the
> armv7 port.
> It's already possible to do full disk encryption on these boards?

I don't think the armv7 bootloader has softraid support at present.
You could use mount_vnd(8) to crypt some partitions. However, I/O
performance on BBB is so bad that adding crypto on top is rather boring.

I use a BBB at home. It's a toy which works fine for simple network-bound
services but you can't make it do wifi or routing due to lack of USB support.
The USB port on BBB is driven by a non-standard host controller which is not
supported by OpenBSD yet.

If you're still figuring out what to buy, also take a look at other
boards listed on this page: http://www.openbsd.org/armv7.html
Freescale/NXP i.MX6 devices are currently the best supported ones but
they are more expensive than BBB.

If you're using the armv7 port you'll want to run -current in any case.

> Also, as a side question, I remember some discussion here on misc or tech,
> about no
> support for binary packages on armv7 port. Is it still right, I'll have to
> compile
> all by myself? I'm already feeling the pain to compile ffmpeg by myself...
> Thanks in advance.

I'm expecting arm packages to re-appear some day soon.
But I'm not directly involved so I don't have any first-hand info.
And since I'm not working on it I'll be waiting very patiently.