Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> And the manual page is wrong in claiming that ulimit -m takes effect when
> the system gets low on memory?
>
> So the only memory limit that is enforced is ulimit -d?

yeah. i'll fix the manual. thanks for noticing.

> Bummer.
>
> What I guess we (VM tricksters) would really want is MAP_NORESERVE...

that's not very hard to add. uvm has a concept of maxprot, which is the
maximum protections one can add to a page. userland doesn't really get any
control over this however. there could be a flag that leaves maxprot as none,
and then we wouldn't need to count that as memory.