On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:35:13AM +0800, Mikael wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I asked IBM to donate 4-10 Power8 servers to the OpenBSD Foundation, for
> adding support for this arch. After 6 months this got all the way to their
> Director of the Power(8) Ecosystem & Alliances, that is the highest
> executive for the whole arch. Just right now, she's asking for a motivation
> for IBM to donate - she asks:
>

> "It would be helpful to know where you are seeing requests for OpenBSD on
> Power and what applications on top of OpenBSD are being requested. We have
> not seen any requests as of yet from our target clients. "
>

> Can you please collect answers to this question and post them here in this
> thread, or PM them to me. I'll forward your responses and they'll decide
> whether to donate Power8 devices to OpenBSD, based on them.
>
> ** Please tell the next 6-7 days!
>
> Thanks!
> Mikael

Forgive me if I've missed something on tech@.

Have you found any developers that want to develop this architecture?
That's definitely a lot of work!

If you've been working on this for 6 months, you should already know who
they are.

Your question seems poorly worded to get the kind of responses you need.
Does anyone need a Power8?
Why? Would be a good question. Why would a Power8 be a preferred
solution versus what they already have or currently plan to upgrade to?

Asking about what apps someone would run is a legitimate question.
I didn't look at any details about Linux running on it, but that might
make porting the same apps over to OpenBSD not too difficult.

I would guess, and only guess, that similar needs would be found by
OpenBSD users.

This thread should also be posted to tech@.

If IBM is serious, I doubt that replies within 6-7 days will make much
difference versus replies within a month.

Good luck,
Chris Bennett