Miod Vallat wrote:
On sparc and sparc64 systems, the BSD disklabel can not describe a disk
geometry larger than 8GB, while individual disklabel entries can be
larger.

Everytime you run disklabel(8), it performs some sanity checks of the
disklabel entries against what it think is the correct drive geometry,
and since it sees a truncated geometry, it warns and will not let you
edit entries outside this 8GB area unless you tell it to use the real
drive geometry, as you did.

Fixing this has been on my list for a while, but I am not satisfied with
my attempts so far. First, we would still need to keep compatibility with
existing disklabels, if only because not everyone has a 8+GB drive in his
sun and do not need a new format disklabel; second, I still have to check
how Solaris labels 8+GB drives, to try and be compatible with it so that
it would still be possible to share a disk between Solaris and BSD.

Miod

PS: Nick, I think this is worth putting in the FAQ for the time being.

Many thanks Miod for taking the time to clarify this for me!

I am glad to finally understand why that is and more over to know that I have nothing to worry about.

It's been in my mind for a very long time without an answer to it and now I know why, but even more importantly for me, I finally understand the why too! (;>

Thank you!!!

Daniel