Splitting this to a separate thread just not to pollute the Power8 thread.

This relates to OpenBSD in the way that it's on the topic of what server
hardware exists that we possibly could run it on. So bordering to off-topic.

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Mikael <mikael.ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Oracle have been talking about making a low-end server model of their new
> > Sparc64 chip, I guess that one will sell at around 5000 USD too.
>
> I guess you talk about so called Sonoma/scale-out SPARCs, well those
> were already unveiled and the prices start on > $11k -- see for
> example S7-2 box configurations.

Sonoma was what I was talking about yes.

My best understanding is that S7-2 is their high-end line and those are
>$11k indeed, and that no Sonoma devices have been released to the market
yet, only pre-announced e.g. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/24/oracle_
sonoma_processor_sparc/ .

I didn't see any prices.

Since their normal price point is >$11k and this should be "much cheaper",
then my wild guess was that that probably should mean something like $5k.

> > (I didn't see any convincing ARM64 servers on the market yet.)
>
> I'm not sure, but various of those already looks quite nice, will not
> break the account nor power-bill and still be even comparable to
> POWER7/8 in terms of raw C compilation power. By comparable I mean
> they are not 10 times (or more) slower or so....

The closest to a existing, usable, buyable ARM64 ECC server I saw is
Gigabyte's Cavium and X-Gene1 offers:

Cavium:
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5926 1U
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5925 1U
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5927 2U

But, I didn't see them actually for sale anywhere, neither did I see a
concrete price tag.

If you saw anything interesting feel free to share.