On 2016-10-22, Federico Giannici <giann...@neomedia.it> wrote:
> We have a firewall with OpenBSD 6.0 amd64 that handles about 1.5 Gbps of
> traffic.
>
> I noticed that from a few weeks the number of states is increased from
> around 250.000 to almost 2 millions (no change in PF config)!
>
> At the same time the firewall started loosing a few packets (around
> 1-2%, with peeks of 4%). Maybe this is due to too many states to handle?
>
> How can we find what's happening and creates all these states?
> How can we analyse almost 2 millions states to find the culprit?
>
> Here it is the current output of "pfctl -s info":

I think I would start by monitoring "tcpdump -nipfsync0 -s9000" (maybe writing
to a file and reading on another machine).

My first guess would be some udp ddos-related traffic (dns, snmp, sip, ntp)
or possibly synflood. Depending on what it is, reducing state timeouts on that
traffic might be reasonable.