On 2016-11-04, Peter J. Philipp <p...@centroid.eu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing because I'm wondering if people out there have had problems
> with the 4.6 version of Berkeley DB in ports, and I'm wondering if I'm
> the only one.  The reason is this.  I'm the author of a DNS server that
> uses Berkeley DB as a backend and I've stumbled on some database
> weirdness a few months ago.  In particular the query function seems to
> have stuck after some usage whereas the AXFR function which is on the
> same descriptor is not stuck.  What I've done is I've pulled my DNS
> server away from answering queries and it does only AXFR as a hidden
> master, but I do plan on bringing it back some day.  I don't have any
> old core files currently with me so this report is based only on my
> memory.  When I gdb'ed a stuck process by attaching gdb to it I noticed
> that the query engine was in berkeley db and probably not returning
> possibly a dead-lock situation.
>
> The way I use berkeley db is across several forked childs, there is a
> child that does solely AXFR (using a cursor on the db and walking the
> zones)  and there is a child that does queries to port 53.  Since the
> database was opened before the fork() the descriptor is shared among the
> childs.  I always saw this as no problem in terms of how the program was
> designed.
>
> Has anyone else seen possible dead-locks in berkeley db 4.6 as provided
> by the OpenBSD ports?  If not there is a chance it's my program meaning
> I'll never figure out what is causing this because I have planned on
> replacing berkeley db altogether, however if it's a known bug it would
> save me the effort next year.  The DNS server was built with OpenBSD as
> the development machine and is now also running in a strict OpenBSD
> environment on my VPS's.
>
> Thanks in advance for your sharing,
>
> -peter

I haven't noticed any myself, but the only thing I'm using it with is
openldap (not forked afaik).

We are many releases behind with db (last time it came up I don't
think there was a good plan to deal with the file format change), so
there might well be a problem that has been fixed upstream in the
meantime..