On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 11:09:12AM -0600, Peter Miller wrote:
>> As for the wifi, I don't see support for the atheros 6174 chipest in
>> the man pages, and I don't know if anyone is working on it. As of now
>> it is "unknown product" in the dmesg. If it is not soldered in, I
>> would be willing to remove it and ship it to a developer, and just
>> replace it with a card that is supported.
>
> Yes, swap it. AFAIK nobody is actively working on atheros drivers.
>
> Get a device supported by iwn(4) or iwm(4) instead.
> Those are currently best for laptops.
>
> Beware of MiniPCIe vs. M.2 connectors (make sure you get a device
> that will actually fit the slot on the motherboard). AFAIK the only
> M.2 device we support is the iwm(4) 8260 chip generation.

Thanks Stefan.

I was hoping someone might chime in on whether X should be working for
my setup or not.

I have the Intel HD Graphics 615 (GT2) the device is 8086:591e
from
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/tree/src/i915_pciids.h
I can see the 591e id is listed, so it looks like the latest Xorg will
recognize and support my card. It was added back in November of 2015.
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/src/i915_pciids.h?id=c446a7ccc783e3ca00b4b15d017c6e3af66dc646

from openbsd xenocara
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/xenocara/driver/xf86-video-intel/src/i915_pciids.h?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
it looks like 591e has not been added to OpenBSD yet.

So I should not expect the 'intel' driver to work, and also from dmesg I see
vendor "Intel", unknown product 0x591e (class display subclass VGA,
rev 0x02) at pci0 dev 2 function 0 not configured

So despite all this, my understanding is that X should still work, but
just with fbdev or vesa for now.

I tried setting machdep.allowaperture=1 and 2 and got different error
messages. I'm not sure if that is significant. I've only ever set it
to 1 as per the install message.

As an aside: the faq, https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html, says
that the aperture driver must be enabled and can be done by answering
'yes' to the question, 'do you expect to run the X window system'
during installation. I said yes and I still had to add
machdep.allowaperture=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf. Shouldn't that have
happened by answering yes, or does 'yes' set a value somewhere else?
This was with the Nov 17 snapshot.

with machdep.allowaperture=2 Xorg error is
[  1117.767] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[  1117.768] (EE) VESA(0): V_BIOS address 0x389e0 out of range
[  1117.768] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"

with machdep.allowaperture=1 the error is
[  1792.791] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[  1792.792] (EE) VESA(0): Cannot read int vect
[  1792.792] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"

I forgot to copy the fbdev error output, but it said "module does not exist"

Is there any hope with vesa, or do I just wait for the Xorg intel
driver support to trickle down to OpenBSD?

--
Later
Peter