On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 09:12:49AM -0800, Todd Carpenter wrote:
> Next, create the mirror with the bioctl(8) <http://man.openbsd.org/bioctl>
>  command.
>
> # *bioctl -c 1 -l sd0a,sd1a softraid0*
>

> *Thats good, but the next part shows*
>

> # *bioctl -c C -l sd0a softraid0*
> New passphrase:
> Re-type passphrase:
> sd1 at scsibus2 targ 1 lun 0: <OPENBSD, SR CRYPTO, 005> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
> sd1: 19445MB, 512 bytes/sector, 39824607 sectors
> softraid0: CRYPTO volume attached as sd1
>

> The problem is that it says softraid is full. perhaps Im doing
> something wrong..

There are a couple of gaps in your understanding. I'm not sure what the
status of nested softraid(4) is but once you run the first command which
creates the mirror (bioctl -c 1), the softraid(4) device will now be a
new device called sd2. You would now setup the sd2 device with a
partition of type RAID and then use bioctl(8) on that new softraid(4)
disk device.

I believe it would then be:

bioctl -c C -l sd2a softraid0

After this command (and inputting a password) you will have a new volume
which would presumably be sd3. You would do your normal install on sd3.
In theory, to be bootable, you would then run:

installboot -v sd3

It's very possible that this will not be bootable and might not work
right but I know some work happened on nested softraid(4).

One reason this might be somewhat confusing is that the examples section
of bioctl(8) uses wd(4) devices for the chunks that make up the
softraid(4) device. The wd(4) driver is for older IDE drives while
modern SATA devices (and USB attached drives) show up as sd(4) as well.

Bryan