Clément 'wxcafé' Hertling wrote on 12/03/16 07:29:
Hey,

So each time I install an OpenBSD system I have to both answer no as to whether
I want to run X on the system, and then deselect the X* sets.

It's not a big thing, but I thought it couldn't be that hard to make it
automatic, that is, if the user indicated they are not planning to run X,
deselect the X* sets by default, since it's probably the most common case (they
could want to have the sets to build some software or to run remote X
applications, but in my opinion most users who indicate they don't want to run X
won't need these sets).

Back in the day before the automated install stuff was in base, I created my own. One thing my updater did, which is apropos to what you're asking, is it would look for existing well-known X11 directories which were part of the X sets. If it found them, it would install the X sets accordingly.

I wonder if this would be a useful solution?