On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:30:31AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2016-12-15, Aaron Mason <simplersolut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > All
> >
> > I'm looking for a 1U appliance that I can re-purpose into a firewall
> > using OpenBSD.  I've tried the near-free method by using an old Lacie
> > Ethernet Disk appliance I had lying around, but it turns out the
> > onboard SATA chipset is toast on this particular unit (it freezes at
> > CDBOOT when it detects hard drives and the BIOS freezes when I set it
> > to IDE mode with drives attached, plus it only has one onboard NIC and
> > one PCI slot, so I can't install another SATA card without removing
> > the other NIC I installed), so I'm looking for other options that fit
> > a limited budget.
> >
> > The most important criteria are that it must be 1U and it must fit
> > within a 420mm (~16.5") space (for reasons I will explain below).  I
> > have a couple of Sun Netra X1s that meet the need, but I can't push
> > more than ~60mbps over the onboard FE ports and they run quite hot to
> > the point of causing kernel panics.
> >
> > For a bit of context - I manage network and systems for a group that
> > run regular LAN parties at a local university, and our network
> > infrastructure lives in a 4RU flight case (with 420mm between the
> > front and rear vertical rails) currently occupied by three HP
> > switches.  We're currently using a Sun V20Z (admittedly running
> > pfSense, a decision made before I took over) but it's rather
> > cumbersome to carry along with three Dell 1950s (two VM hosts and a
> > Steam cache) and a Dell 2950 (NAS, provides iSCSI to VM hosts).  We
> > don't usually get more than 35 players and we don't do any complex
> > filtering on the firewall.
> >
> > I've been considering looking at old firewall appliances like Nokias,
> > Sonicwalls, Watchguards or Barracudas - has anyone had any luck with
> > getting OpenBSD on any of those or other such appliances?
> >
> > Gigabit ports would be nice (the university finally bought gigabit PoE
> > switches) but will accept Fast Ethernet if my budget says no.
>
> IMHO, you can get a fairly useful decent second-hand machine for a low
> enough price that it's not worth the hassle repurposing or using something
> from before GE was common, they're going to be more hassle to get working,
> and old enough that you may well run into things failing through age.
>
> How about a Dell R210 or an R210 II off ebay? 400mm deep, 2 nics onboard,
> if you need more ports then dual-port PCIe nics are pretty cheap.
> If you want to cut down on weight+noise at the expense of more cost
> and a less powerful cpu, maybe APU2 in a 1U case or something like
> supermicro SYS-5018A-FTN4.

I can second that :-).  I have a Sunfire v120 w/dual 100mbit nics, but
had to stop using it as large amounts of throughput was causing panics
I couldn't figure out + keep housemates happy.

I ended up with a Dell R210 and couldn't be happier.  It has been 100%
stable since installation almost exactly a year ago now.

FWIW -- noise was almost unbearable with the sunfire v120, but the r210
is actually nicely quiet.  The fans spin down and I rarely hear it, it
blends in with the 24 port gigabit poe switch I have.

Cheers,
-ryan