Subject: Re: athn0: device timeout (AR9271 USB 2.0 Wifi-key as hostap)
Local Time: January 23, 2017 11:28 PM
UTC Time: January 23, 2017 10:28 PM
From: s...@stsp.name
To: mabi <m...@protonmail.ch>, misc@openbsd.org <misc@openbsd.org>

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:19:31PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 04:27:32PM -0500, mabi wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have an Atheros AR9271 Wifi USB 2.0 key on my OpenBSD 6.0 firewall in
> > order to use as an access point. Unfortunately it happens nearly every day
> > that the athn0 device times out, kernel log:
> >
> > athn0: device timeout
> >
> > and the only way to make the wireless work again is to reboot the firewall.
> > I was told this would get better with 6.0 but I can't see any difference.
> > Any ideas what's wrong? Below I post my hostname.athn0 and dmesg.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mabi
>
> These are known issues with athn on USB and hostap.
> I have already spent a lot of time digging into this and never got anywhere.
> Eventually I decided to document this in the man page which you apparently
> missed:
>
> [[[
> ATHN(4) Device Drivers Manual ATHN(4)
>
> NAME
> athn Atheros IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n wireless network device
> [...]
> BUGS
> Host AP mode does not work with USB devices.
> ]]]
>
> Sorry. Anybody, please let me know if you find a way to fix it.

I now recall that awolk@ was working on a patch for a similar problem.
See http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160906004915 and
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=144895556213390&w=2 which I had
already forgotten about ever having written.

Not sure what happened to the patch and if it is ready by now.
Also not sure if it will actually fix your problem or if Adam's problem
was caused by something else. Hard to tell without actually testing things.