Perhaps I should point out that the only reason I suggested installing
OpenBSD on the stick here was for recovery purposes, and for installing
the boot loader.

The boot loader allows you to select the HDD you have at the start. So
edit /etc/boot.conf *on the stick* as follows:

boot sr0a:/bsd

That should do the trick.

On your softraid volume is your plain, normal OpenBSD install (similar
to how it would be installed on a non-softraided partition). No trickery
needed there, and no need to store the "b" partition somewhere else
either, its fine on the softraid partition.