I'm polling using xrandr to check whether a new display was plugged in, so I
can run a script to switch to it, i.e. plug in an external VGA monitor and it
lights up automatically, unplug it and my laptop automatically switches back to
using its internal display. But, every time I run xrandr my (USB connected)
audio stutters, which makes me sad because I was hoping to poll for a new
display every 5 seconds, but that's not so great while listening to music.

Does anyone know of a better way to notice a newly plugged in display...perhaps
one that's more passive/efficient so as not to provoke stuttering audio? I
don't see any output from hotplugd that I could use unfortunately, that seemed
like the right place to look first. I didn't notice anything I could use in the
Xorg log either.