> The more complex the protocol, the slower the transfer.
> 85 MB/sec sounds about right for ftp in my opinion, samba may need some
> performance tuning.

Yep, I would recommend when tuning Samba to not just throw a bunch of
optimizations in there and expect it to work magically. It's better to test
with just a few (or even 1) modification first and work from there.

OpenBSD can be a little slower but the trade off for better security is worth
it IMHO.

If you going between Linux and OpenBSD NFS would also be an option (not
without it's own tuning difficulties at times).

Remember you can tune Samba but you can't tune-a-fish!

-PZ