Maybe we need a list of recommended serial port add-on cards although the thrust of other's arguments is to simply buy a good USB->serial adapter.

I just bought a little VIA box with serial ports which I hope will act as
a nice way to connect to the consolves my ALIX boxes which will arrive in
the next week or so.

I have not worked on serial port drivers for nearly 20 years and I only ever worked on SGI, MIPS, SUN and BSDI kernels. When I worked on really good hardware implementations of serial ports, the work was extremely
satisfying. And the reverse was also too true.

And for fear of starting a war, I will say nothing about the 'tty' driver.

So take this with a grain of salt.