On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 08:37:30AM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 06:40:57PM -0500, Joe Gidi wrote:
>
> > After jsg@ mentioned that booting a Raspberry Pi 3 from a USB device
> > might be
> > possible, I decided to find out how deep the rabbit hole is.
> > As it turns out,
> > it's currently a bit convoluted, but it can be made
> > to work with OpenBSD.
> > First off, USB boot support is just now getting fully ironed out.
> > You'll need
> > to update the firmware on your Pi to make it work. I
> > installed the latest
> > (2017-03-02) Raspbian image to an SD card and
> > booted the Pi from that. While
> > booted in Raspbian, update the
> > firmware:
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get
> > install rpi-update
> > sudo rpi-update
> >
> > It's then necessary to actually enable USB
> > boot support. Add the
> > following 2 lines to /boot/config.txt to enable USB boot
> > mode and set
> > a 5-second timeout to allow time for USB device initialization:
> > program_usb_boot_mode=1
> > program_usb_boot_timeout=1
> >
> > NOTE: Apparently these
> > variables are set in the Pi's OTP memory, which
> > means once they're set, they
> > can't ever be unset.
> >
> > Reboot for the changes to take effect. At this point the
> > Pi should be
> > ready to support USB booting.
> >
> > While you still have a working
> > Raspbian install, grab a copy of the
> > /boot/bootcode.bin and /boot/start.elf
> > files for later use; apparently
> > we need these special versions of those two
> > files for USB boot
> > support. At this point we're done with Raspbian and can
> > shut it down
> > to install OpenBSD.
> >
> > Next, write the OpenBSD miniroot60.fs to an
> > SD card, plug in your USB
> > drive, and boot the Pi. You should be greeted with
> > the usual OpenBSD
> > installer, and you should be able to install to your USB
> > drive
> > (probably sd0). Once the installer is done, run 'halt', unplug the Pi,
> > and remove the SD card and USB drive.
> >
> > To make your USB drive bootable, you'll
> > need to plug it into another
> > system and mount its 'i' partition (the FAT32
> > boot partition) to make
> > a few changes. Replace the bootcode.bin and start.elf
> > files with the
> > ones from Raspbian, and add the u-boot.bin file from the 'i'
> > partition
> > of your miniroot60.fs SD card.
> >
> > With those changes made, your Pi
> > should be able to boot OpenBSD
> > directly from a USB drive with no SD card
> > needed. Note that it seems
> > to take around 10 seconds for the Pi to reach the
> > OpenBSD bootloader
> > and fire up the kernel.
> >
> > Hope this information is helpful
> > to someone...

> [...]

You don't need to bother with linux, the files are in the
raspberrypi-firmware package with version 1.20170215.  And the next
snapshot will include the newer firmware.

Though that will take a few days, due to -current moving to 6.1 a
xenocara build will have to be done as well and that tends to trigger
problems with stuck and segfaulting processes.