On 2017-03-09, Uday MOORJANI <umoorjani.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Community,
>
> Hope all is well. I'm on my last stretch to put in production our
> OpenBSD/OpenBGPd implementation. I have chosen a SuperMicro box as my
> platform, some of our transit providers at the data center come in
> through 1000-Base-LX fiber cross connects hence the search for an SFP
> and LX capable network card.
>
> My question is, does the em driver work with Intel-based network cards
> of other vendors such as the Silicom PE2G4SFPI35L or the PE2G4SFPI80L,
> both respectively are based on Intel i340AM4 and 82580EB controllers.

I haven't tried those Silicom cards but I have a couple of 6-port
HotLava 1000base-T em(4) cards which are working nicely.

I don't see I340AM4 on the list in the em(4) manual. I can't say whether
this is just an omission from the manual, or whether it's unsupported.
82580EB is listed there.

> Or is there another card with 4-Ports 1000-Base-LX capable hardware I
> missed?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Uday MOORJANI
>
> PS
> Loving the OS.

When I had a circuit delivered on single-mode fibre I couldn't find
a suitable 1Gb SFP card for any sensible money so I used a 10Gb card
instead (in my case some 82599-based Intel SFP+ which uses the ix(4)
driver), which also work with 1Gb SFPs.

$ ifconfig ix1 | grep -e ^ix -e media
ix1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseLX full-duplex,rxpause,txpause)

$ dmesg | grep ^ix1 | tail -1
ix1 at pci1 dev 0 function 1 "Intel 82599" rev 0x01: msi, address
00:1b:21:c0:25:bd